The Nebraska FFA Foundation is very excited to share successes from the 2013 National FFA Convention. This year’s convention was held from October 30-November 2 in Louisville, KY. Over 60,000 members and guests attended to participate in general sessions, competitive events, educational tours, leadership workshops, career shows, volunteer sessions and much, much more.
Please join us in congratulating all students who competed in this year’s convention. They put a lot of time and hard work into these competitions!
Here are a few items to note of this year’s convention:
Nebraska had two Stars Over America Finalists. This award recognized outstanding achievements in Supervised Agricultural Experiences (SAE). Only sixteen individuals are chosen as finalists at each convention.
- Star Finalist in Agriscience – Mark Keck, Plainview FFA
- Star Finalist in Agribusiness – Eric Miller, Lyons-Decatur Northeast FFA
Three students from Nebraska were chosen as National Proficiency Award Finalists. FFA members who excel in their SAE (Supervised Agricultural Experience) programs can be recognized through the proficiency award program. The program encourages members to develop specialized skills towards a future career and members are recognized at the local, state and national levels.
- Goat Production-Entrepreneurship/Placement Proficiency Area – Alyssa Hambleton, Fullerton FFA
- Agricultural Services-Entrepreneurship/Placement Proficiency Area – Jared Knobbe, Imperial FFA
- Agriscience Research-Animal Systems Proficiency Area – Patrick Arkfeld, Syracuse FFA
Brennan Costello of the Gothenburg FFA Chapter finished his year on the as the National FFA Central Region Vice President.
Three Nebraska FFA Chapters were finalists in the Model of Innovation – Community Awards. These National Chapter Awards recognize chapters that successfully complete an annual Program of Activities, which includes a series of activities designed to encourage its members to grow as individuals, to work as part of a team and to serve others.
- Conestoga FFA
- North Bend FA
- Plainview FFA
One Career Development Event team received a gold and placed seventh in this year’s competitions.
- Agronomy Career Development Event – Twin River FFA (Gus Cromwell, Paul Jaixen, Preston Nelson, and Bryan Kummer)
Nebraska had thirteen students selected for the National Agriscience Fair this year, two of which received gold medals in their area.
- Power Structural and Technical Systems – Brent Miller, Lyons-Decatur Northeast FFA
- Environmental Systems – Brooke Pieke, Newman Grove FFA
Nebraska was well represented with five National FFA Band members and six National FFA Chorus members.
Former Executive Director of the Nebraska FFA Association, Donelle Wolters received her Honorary American FFA Degree.
And last, but certainly not least, 155 Nebraska FFA members received the American FFA Degree, the highest degree an FFA member can receive.
To view the comprehensive results document for Nebraska FFA, you can download it here.